Most frequent questions and answers
YES! We require our members to “serve from the heart”. We believe if your reason for volunteering is to serve others, then you will do your best to do a good job, to show up for events on time and to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone you encounter.
- Click on Home
- Click on Log In or Sign Up button [upper right corner]
- Use a Gmail Address as your username
- Click on the Event you want to volunteer for
- Click Register to sign up
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- name of event
- name of shift
- the reason for the change or cancellation
- List the names of 2 or 3 friends you have in HIM
- Avoid getting on the “no show” or “bail out” list
- Be on time, do a good job, act professionally, serve from your heart
- Do not steal, give attitude or be disrespectful
- We can look it up for you. Your shifts and hours are tied to your HIM account, so do not create a new one. You can contact us on Facebook or email email@example.com if you need to know your HIM account.
- HIM has earned a solid reputation in the community for being reliable. Our officers spend an enormous amount of time reminding members of their upcoming shift. We understand that an emergency may come up that is out of your control. However, if we see a pattern where a member do not show up, they will be placed on a “no show” list.
- It is considered bailing if you cancel 5 days or less prior to the event day
- If you bail, try to find a reliable replacement to take over your shift
- You will be placed on the “No Show” list if you do not show up to the shift you signed up for (IT’S EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LIKE SANTA’S NAUGHTY LIST)
- You won’t be able to volunteer for the really fun events (like the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival, the Cherry Blossom Festival, etc.)
- On the left hand side under Registered Shifts, you will see Hours Earned
- Whenever hours are updated for an event, Sean will post on the FB group for that event saying that the hours are updated. (Don’t worry if your hours are not counted right away)
- There is also a doc with your total hours from past years of volunteering with HIM as well
- Every event has a meeting place and time that will be listed in the facebook group that will be made which you will be added to by our officers.
- Figure out how to get there ASAP. Go to 511.org for maps and directions. Don’t be shy to ask officers for help.
- Be sure to show up on time. Arrival time is usually 30 mins before the start of a shift.
- Dress appropriately (Some events like the SF Food Bank ban special types of clothing).
- Sign in with your team leader which was named in the facebook group
- Have fun while volunteering.
- At the end of an event, we will usually take a group picture before leaving.
- Check Facebook frequently, as it is our main way of communicating with our members
- Don’t be afraid to ask any of our officers if you have a problem or question
- Have FUN, if you’re not going to enjoy it, then don’t take the shift, it’s not mandatory. There are others that want your spot.
- Show up to events early (early is on time, on time is late, late is never heard of)